2 cups plain flour
180g cold butter, cubed
1/4 - 1/2 cup iced water
1 egg separated
4 - 5 fresh sliced rhubarb stalks
4 green apples, peeled and sliced
4 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
2 teaspoons MANUKA ROYALE Honey
- Preheat oven to 180°C, fan forced.
- In a food processor fitted with a steel blade, place the flour and butter.
- Pulse, until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add the egg yolk and pulse until combined.
- Adding the ice-water a little at a time, pulse until the mix begins to clump together.
- Pour the pastry dough out onto a floured surface and bring it together using your hands. Gently kneading it, being careful not to over-work the dough.
- Wrap the pastry in plastic or baking paper and refrigerate whilst you prepare the filling.
- In a bowl, combine rhubarb, apples, brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger and MANUKA ROYALE honey.
- On a floured surface roll out the pastry into a large circle, roughly 0.5cm thick.
- Transfer the pastry to baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Pile the apple/rhubarb filling into the centre of the pastry circle and bring up the sides of the pastry folding around the filling, creating a rustic pie.
- Brush the pastry with the reserved egg white and sprinkle with a little more sugar.
- Bake at 180°C for 35 - 40 minutes, or until the pastry is golden and the fruit is soft.
- Serve with vanilla ice cream and a drizzle of MANUKA ROYALE Manuka honey.